Orchard Road Presbyterian Church
Understand more about the Orchard Road Presbyterian Church.
Orchard Road Presbyterian Church’s founding members were Scottish sailors and soldiers (ORPC). The London Missionary Society chapel was constructed at the junction of North Bridge Road and Bras Basah Road and held its inaugural service on October 26, 1856. The average attendance during services back then was about 65 people. In May 1875, the church received the site on which it now sits.
In August 1877, the church’s cornerstone lay, and services began in the new building in November 1878. According to the membership list, 42 men and women joined the church that day. Currently, there are two Sunday services where the 1,000-member Orchard Road Presbyterian Church English congregation worships (9 am and 6 pm). A total of 150 children and 80 teenagers attend the Sunday School for Kids and Youth Service, which is held at the same time as the worship service at 9 am.
One of the few functioning pipe organs in Singapore get located in the Orchard Road Presbyterian Church. The church’s original organ get put in place in 1861, and this one is the third to be built there. Based on the William Hill & Sons/Norman and Beard two-manual and pedal-tracker organ from 1926, this organ was constructed in 1962 by J. W. Walker & Sons. In 1987, it became electrified.
The building has a Palladian-style facade facing Orchard Road and a single-story construction with tiled pitched roofs. The Serlian motif, also known as a Palladian window, which consists of a central arched opening flanked by apertures on either side with flat entablatures, is the most prominent element of the facade. The motif gets repeated above the porch in a smaller version with single columns. Two double Ionic columns serve as the porch’s structural support. The tower’s front face contains finials at each of its four corners, and a dome supported by columns tops it all.
The church initially served Singapore’s Scottish community, and services get held in English. Following that, services in other languages get offered to members of different cultures, with the first Mandarin Chinese service taking place on Easter Sunday, 1968.
The Christian Education Ministry seeks to assist believers in CONNECT to the Word of God for believers to COMMIT to the God of the Word and be the people of God who spread His light and love everywhere they go.
Building a community of spiritually mature Christian disciples, demonstrating love for one another through prayer and deeds of service, mutually supporting one another in the faith, and reaching out to bring others into the body of Christ are all parts of congregational care.
Our goal in worship is to reverently and devotedly praise God. Through worship services, music ministries, ushers, audio-visual (AV) setups, scripture reading, floral ministry, and preaching, we seek to create a comprehensive worship experience and disciple-making process. sub-ministries
You may also like
Saint George's Church
Saint George’s Church is situated in the quiet environs off Minden Road, a short distance from the bustling shopping district of Orchard Road.
Saint Joseph's Church
St Joseph’s Church is located at 143 Victoria Street. It was built by the Portuguese Mission in 1853 to serve Portuguese and Eurasian Catholics in Singapore
Saint Matthew's Church
St Matthew’s Church was founded on 29 September 1902, beginning as a Cantonese-speaking Chinese congregation under St. Peter’s Church, Singapore.
One Stop Solution For All Your Property Needs
[fluentform type=”conversational” id=”6″]