Singapore General Hospital
Singapore General Hospital is a public hospital in Singapore.
Singapore General Hospital (abbreviation: SGH)[a] is a tertiary referral hospital and an academic health science center in Singapore, situated in the Bukit Merah and Chinatown areas of the Central Region. It is next to the Outram Community Hospital (OCH), which serves as a community and rehabilitation hospital for recently released patients from the SGH. Outpatient treatment is supplemented by the Outram Polyclinic. SingHealth, which is part of the Singaporean government’s Ministry of Health, is in charge of all of these institutions (MOH).
It is Singapore’s biggest and oldest hospital, as well as the country’s national hospital. Before its first significant extension in 1926, the foundation of its initial structure was erected in 1821. In the decades that followed, there were further extensions and modifications. SGH is the flagship hospital of SingHealth, Singapore’s biggest public healthcare conglomerate, as well as the primary teaching hospital for the Duke–NUS Medical School, which is connected with the National University of Singapore (NUS). The Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC), the National Heart Centre Singapore (NHCS), the National Cancer Centre Singapore (NCCS), and the National Dental Centre Singapore (NDCS) are all located on the site (NDCS). The Elective Care Facility Singapore (ECC), a fifth speciality centre, is presently under development and is slated to open in 2025.
SGH has long been regarded as one of the greatest hospitals in the world, constantly ranking in the top ten by Newsweek, with the highest ranking of third in 2019. As a result, it is Asia’s top-ranked hospital, attracting patients from all around the area. SGH also performs the country’s greatest number of transplants, including solid hematologic and organ transplantation.
Early years of history
The Singapore General Hospital was founded in 1821, when the first General Hospital was built near the Singapore River in a cantonment for British soldiers. It subsequently moved to Pearl Banks apartment and then to the Kandang Kerbau neighborhood until settling in 1882 at Sepoy Lines on Outram Road.
The Bowyer, Stanley, and Norris Blocks opened on March 29, 1926, bringing the total number of beds at Singapore General Hospital to 800. Only the Bowyer Block, with its historically significant clock tower, survives today. The Singapore General Hospital Museum, or SGH Museum, is presently housed in the Bowyer Block.
The hospital was reconstructed in 1981, and it now houses in-patient wards, ambulatory and support services, research labs, and a postgraduate medical institution in an eight-block complex.
Due to rapidly changing healthcare services and patient expectations for improved treatment, the hospital was reorganized on April 1, 1989, in an attempt to modernize the institution’s organization. The Singapore General Hospital, as a reformed hospital, is still 100 percent government-owned and operated as a not-for-profit organization. More than 60% of the beds are reserved for subsidised patients, ensuring that they have access to a globally recognized quality of inexpensive treatment.
The twenty-first century
The Ministry of Health began a massive reorganization of public sector healthcare services on March 31, 2000. (MOH). Since then, Singapore Health Services, or SingHealth, has been in charge of the Singapore General Hospital.
SGH stated in 2018 that it would expand its accident and emergency (A&E) facilities, including the construction of a new 12-story specialized structure that will be four times the size of the hospital’s current A&E facilities. The Outram Community Hospital and the building’s specialized centers will be linked. It is scheduled to start operating in 2023.
The SGH Museum is a collection of artifacts from the
The Singapore General Hospital Museum is a storehouse of items and archives where visitors may learn about the hospital’s long and illustrious history. It’s also a site where you can learn about the evolution of medical specialities and medical education in Singapore via audiovisual and multimedia presentations.
President SR Nathan declared the SGH Museum open on May 20, 2005. The museum takes a theme approach to portraying the hospital’s lengthy history, so visitors not only get an awareness of the hospital’s key advancements throughout time, but also of the effect these episodes have on individuals and the community.
Singapore’s National Cancer Centre
The Primary Cancer Centre Singapore (NCCS) is the country’s national cancer speciality center, specializing in cancer diagnosis, research, and treatment. The facility has the highest concentration of oncologists in Singapore. It began as a unit of Singapore General Hospital in 1993 and has now evolved into a self-contained SingHealth facility.
Professor Soo Khee Chee is the center’s founder and director. NCCS offers a variety of medical, educational, and research services all at one location, as well as a multidisciplinary approach to diagnosis and treatment. It is the only comprehensive multidisciplinary subspecialist cancer center in Southeast Asia.
In addition, the facility is a teaching center for post-graduate cancer education, where many local and international physicians, nurses, paramedical workers, and researchers are trained and fellowships are available.
On June 2, 2017, work on an extension to the NCCS started, which will contain extra facilities to accommodate expanded patient access to cancer care as well as the capacity of the specialist center. It will also contain a new Proton Therapy Centre, which would enable the NCCS to use proton therapy to treat cancer patients. It is expected to open in 2022. It is the region’s first and only hospital with such capabilities.
Singapore’s National Heart Centre
The National Heart Centre Singapore (NHCS) is a cardiovascular disease specialty medical center and regional referral center. The Singapore Heart Centre, which began as the Singapore General Hospital’s Singapore Heart Centre in 1994, took over the hospital’s cardiac services and opened a cardiology laboratory in 1995. In 1998, it was renamed. NHCS relocated to a new purpose-built facility at 5 Hospital Drive in 2014. Outpatient clinics and non-invasive diagnostics are available in the new facility, as well as surgical rooms and an invasive cardiac catheterization laboratory.
You may also like
Tan Tock Seng Hospital
Tan Tock Seng Hospital has more than 175 years of community care and is identified as the People’s Hospital in Novena, Singapore.
Institute Of Mental Health
Institute of Mental Health is located in the Northeast of Singapore that caters to the mental health care of the community.
Jurong Community Hospital
Jurong Community Hospital is known for its mobility park and Life Hub wherein it enables patients to slowly re-adapt to daily living.