Number One Property Logo Dark Blue
Whatsapp Button

Saint Matthew's Church

Saint Matthews Church view

Guide to Know About Saint Matthew’s Church

Saint Matthew’s Church serves as the parish for the Anglican Diocese of Singapore. The Saint Matthew’s Church Chinese congregation has the most history out of the 26 Anglican parishes in Singapore.

History

Beginning as a Cantonese-speaking Chinese congregation under St. Peter’s Church in Singapore, Saint Matthew’s Church gets established on September 29, 1902.

Both the Neil Road location and the current location were historically close to two Locations where Chinese men between 18 and 55 were gathered and screened in preparation for the 1942 Sook Ching massacre. The Police Cantonment Complex and the region between Singapore General Hospital and Tiong Bahru Road.

A kindergarten getas added to a second structure at Neil Road built after World War II. On May 7, 2006, John Chew Hiang Chea, the third archbishop of the Church of the Province of South East Asia and the ninth bishop of Singapore, dedicated the current structure at 1K Eng Hoon Street, Singapore 169796 in Tiong Bahru.

English and Mandarin congregations can get found in St. Matthew’s Church, which is now in its 105th year. The church moved to Eng Hoon Street in Tiong Bahru in 2006 after spending roughly 77 years there. Chinese Singaporeans still make up the majority in this Cantonese Congregation, despite the Cantonese Congregation having transferred to St. Andrew’s Cathedral in Singapore.

Around 400 people are members of the church as a whole. Roughly 200 members of the English Congregation include English-speaking Chinese, and about 120 members of the Mandarin congregation are Chinese speakers of Mandarin. The English Youth Service has an average of 40 young people, while the English Children’s Ministry has an average of 20 kids. Six teenagers participate in the Mandarin Youth Fellowship, while nine kids often attend the Mandarin Children’s Ministry.

Vision

a global Anglican community of nations that is different yet united in its pursuit of the Great Commission via both words and acts.

Mission

By focusing on church planting, Anglican Missions aims to empower and equip local Anglican leaders to carry out the Great Commission.

Chinese Speaking Work

The diocese created the Chinese Diocesan Council in 1931 as the missionary activity among Chinese speakers advanced. The Chinese Working Committee was founded in 1952 and was given its new name in 1961. The Anglican High School was founded in 1956 by the four Mandarin-based churches Saint. Matthew’s Church, Holy Trinity Church, Church Of The True Light, and Church Of The Good Shepherd collaboration with St. Andrew’s Cathedral (Mandarin).

Singapore and West Malaysia get split into two dioceses on April 7, 1970, the same day that The Diocese of Singapore attained independence, and the “Board of Chinese work of the Anglican Diocese of Singapore” was legally constituted. The “Lay Leaders Committee” was founded by the Board of Chinese Work in 2002 to improve ties between lay Christians and the diocese. Member of the Mandarin Churches of the Four Denominations in Singapore, the Board of Chinese Work has actively organized and participated in the ministry.

On November 28, 2020, the Board of Chinese Work commemorated 50 years of operation. They are God’s appreciative faithfulness and grace in the past, and they eagerly anticipate continuing to walk with you on the path of grace in the future.

New Launch Condo

Home Valuation

You may also like

One Stop Solution For All Your Property Needs

[fluentform type=”conversational” id=”6″]